Monday, December 20, 2010

"Flight of Shadows"

I just finished reading "Flight of Shadows" by Sigmund Brouwer (provided by Waterbrook Press for review). Very intriguing sci-fi, written with a Christian influence. It is a sequel to "Broken Angel" (which I didn't realized until after I had begun the book). So I would recommend reading that one first! However, I was able to follow the story line fairly well without having read the first one.

"Flight of Shadows" tells of a young girl whose whole existence is a genetic miracle...which makes her a target for both military and government agencies, as well as others who would like to unravel her secret. In a future torn apart by Wars, social and economic status are arranged, monitored, and maintained by the government. New to this "Outside" world, Caitlyn is alone and determined to trust no one. Yet an unlikely ally seems determined to help her...with or without her permission. Is Razor trustworthy, or motivated by the same desires as the forces who hunt her?

Brouwer does a beautiful job of painting a picture of this possible future, bleak as it is. This fast paced story line is full of well developed characters, whose thoughts and motives are not always clear...which added to the suspense. My one critique would be that the very short chapters, (a new one began whenever the point of view changed) which I assume were designed to the mount the tension in the story as events and characters race to the climax, were conversely distracting for me.

Because of the complexity of the plot and some violence, I would not recommend this book for children or young teens. But anyone else who enjoys reading science fiction would most likely enjoy "Flight of Shadows".

No comments:

Post a Comment