Tuesday, July 13, 2010

High Adventure

I just finished Nick Valentino's "Thomas Riley". A friend and I met the author at a Book Fair in April. My friend purchased the book because Valentino did such a wonderful job of creating interest! Neither of us are typical fans of science fiction--so that is saying something that we both wanted to read his novel.

The story tells the high adventure of Thomas Riley and Cynthia Basset; weapons designers for the country of West Canvia. When an alchemy experiment goes awry, both are caught up in a mission that threatens their lives and the lives of all with whom they come in contact.

While I remain more a fan of fantasy than sci-fi, I must say there were times when I was completely engrossed in the story. I think those who truly enjoy the more intricate parts of this genre (the extreme detail of weaponry, technological jargon, and futuristic battle sequences) would call this book a success. I would give it 3 stars...but apart from some grammatical mistakes that always lower a book's ranking for me, I realize this book would most likely garner higher praise from a more dedicated sci-fi fan.

If you enjoy action, detailed battle sequences, futuristic drama...with sky pirates and magical alchemy experiments thrown in...then this is the book for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment