Sunday, August 9, 2009

My Review of Rick and Bubba's New Book

I have recently signed up to be a book reviewer with Thomas Nelson. I have just finished reading Rick and Bubba's Guide to the Almost Nearly Perfect Marriage.

This was a fast-paced, quick read. I found the short chapters very entertaining. Having listened to Rick and Bubba's radio show for years, reading this book was very similar to that in many ways.

I found myself laughing out loud at some point in almost every chapter. I enjoyed the various "top ten" lists, such as Rick and Bubba's Surefire Ways to Know She's the One". I discovered new insights into the way men view certain issues, in particular, "puddin' heads" and "DD (Daddy Discipline)." I was charmed by the way both men clearly adore their wives, even when discussing some of their less lovable habits (such as over-spending and having no mercy during sickness).

I often found myself nodding and smiling during the numerous stories of marital disagreements and misunderstandings. Many of these brought to mind instances in my own marriage and made me realize the common issues we all face.

However, this is not a simple "tongue-in-cheek" parody of self-help books. Nestled in the midst of the wonderful comedic anecdotes that have made Rick and Bubba famous are real gems of Godly wisdom regarding marriage and spousal relationships. The chapter R-E-S-P-E-C-T was perhaps one of my favorites. Rick and Bubba do an outstanding job of emphasizing the differences in how men and women view love, based on Paul's advice in the scriptures.

I would reccommend this book to any adult, whether you are happily married, in need of counseling, or even single and hoping to one day get married. This book is a fun read, packed with biblical truth, often disguised as "good ol' boy" wisdom.

No comments:

Post a Comment