Sunday, March 13, 2011

What a Wonder of a Tale

Mine is the Night, by Liz Curtis Higgs is more than a Christian romance set in the Scottish borderlands during the 1700's. I confess that is what first drew me to this novel. I am giddy for all things ancient, Scottish or Irish. I found no disappointment in my expectations here.

But I was delighted and amazed when, as I read the tale, I was reminded of another, dearly familiar one (aye, one of my favorites). The story of Elizabeth Kerr, her mother-in-law, Marjory, and Lord Jack Buchanan, mirror the beautiful tale of Ruth, Naomi, and Boaz from the Old Testament.

What makes this reading even more special for me personally, is that very recently, in our creative ministries group at church, I asked our members to dwell on their favorite name for God. I shared that mine is "Redeemer"...and reminded them of the story of Ruth, and the picture it paints of Christ as our kinsman redeemer even today. Since then, more than I can recount, I have been blessed to hear through songs or sayings that very name "Redeemer". I never imagined the joy of choosing a book that would have the same theme! How amazing is our Lord to work out such things ahead of time.

Now, as for a review of the book (the true purpose of this post), I found it well written, and deeply touching. Mrs. Higgs's characters are endearingly realistic, easy to love, even in their flaws. And their consistent manner of choosing the word of the Lord for whatever situation they found themselves in—fear, sorrow, longing, joy—was both an encouragement and a conviction to me. Her description of landscape and use of Scottish vernacular were a delightful addition as well. I found myself wanting to read aloud, just to practice how the lads and lasses might have sounded!

I would without reservation recommend this book to anyone who enjoys Christian, historical romance. My many thanks to Waterbrook/Multnomah Press for providing this book for my honest review.

This book may be purchased beginning March 15th at online sites, including
amazon.com

No comments:

Post a Comment